This week, like last week (and, come to think about it, last weekend too…), has mostly been about knit and crochet, but I had a little escape for a few hours to do a little bit of sewing and I've just completed my latest sewing case, which was a custom order for a fellow sewist via Etsy:
What she wanted was a case based on one of my existing Tilda sewing cases, but supersized with lots of pockets inside. I didn't have enough of the rose print inner fabric to make all the pockets and the inside as well, so we agreed that I'd make the inner with a plain, bright pink Robert Kaufman Essex Linen, and the pockets with the roses print:
This rose print is a swine to pattern match and I found that with so little of it left in my stash, pattern matching was even trickier, plus it also forced a couple of construction compromises. I had to make the little pockets at the front smaller than I would have liked to get the pattern to work with the pocket underneath, and I had to place the scissor keeper at a very slight angle. Ever noticed how unstraight the patterns on many printed fabrics are?
All the pockets and the scissor keeper are lined with the Essex Linen and I also interlined the back pocket to make sure that any weighty scissors in the keeper wouldn't pull and misshape the pocket fabric.
The larger pockets both have hidden press stud fastenings hand stitched into place, to keep the contents safe:
My supersizing sewist customer wanted coordinating pink felt pages in the centre and I added two sheets in different shades, which I think looks really pretty. I also couldn't resist adding a line of decorative couched herringbone stitches in gold thread to the first page, just for fancy, and because the case's new owner is a cross stitcher – I thought she'd like it:
My customer said she'd been looking for just the right case for ages and hadn't found it – so nice to be able to make it for her and have a little break from my knitting… 🙂