Last weekend I had an urge out of nowhere to make a quilt. Let's be clear – I have absolutely no business making a new quilt – I have several on the go, all at different stages. I'm in the process of quilting one – my Indian Summer Stars quilt:
Then there is my Window on the Forest MKII quilt, which is waiting to be sandwiched and basted so I can quilt it (apologies for the poor quality picture):
And then there is last summer's scrap busting endeavour – ' Rabbit Patch' – an applique piece which still needs borders adding, sandwiching and quilting:
Plus, I've got all the fabrics to hand to make another of last year's ideas – a template piece with yachts and beach huts using Liberty lawn, which didn't even get off the ground yet!
To be fair, I haven't had enough time since last Summer to do any quilting, apart from bits here and there in sewing cases, nightdress cases, quilted stockings and a little wall hanging:
This has really kept my hand in as far as hand quilting is concerned without making the large time commitment that a quilt demands. But now, inspiration has struck and must be answered!
I'd had my eye on a pretty fabric collection for months – Suffolk Garden by Brie Harrison for Dashwood Studios:
I really wanted to do something with this collection and a quilt is always a great way to use a pretty collection like this. Plus, a quick look in the online fabric shops showed me that it was selling out in some places, and others only had one or two of the prints available. Luckily, Fabric HQ had all the prints and I love how quickly they dispatch fabrics – they completely understand the needs of the inspiration struck stitcher!
As there is a garden theme to the fabrics, I decided that a Grandma's Flower Garden hexie design was the way to go and was instantly excited about it – it's been 2 years since I made my last English Paper Piece quilt and my hands have just about forgotten how rough it was on them:
I immediately got on with finalising my design and ordering the fabrics and, while I waited, I got to work cutting out 247 one and a quarter inch hexies from scrap paper, using a plastic template and a pair of scissors. I know that one of those fabulous template cutting machines would make this all so much easier and quicker for the paper and the fabric, but I just don't do enough of this kind of making at the moment to justify the investment in one.
The fabrics arrived on Wednesday and I've already cut out all my hexies and have almost finished tacking them to the papers – only about 60 left to do, which I should polish off over the weekend. I'm quite surprised how quick this part has been to be honest – I thought it took a lot longer last time…
I've decided to save my very favourite print from the collection for the backing and binding of the quilt, which is going to be cot sized to keep it manageable:
So excited to start piecing and see it grow – especially since I've learned an awful lot about the processes involved since my last quilt and hope that this one will be all I would want it to be! And, hopefully, finishing this little indulgence quilt will spur me on to complete my other unfinished ones 🙂