There's a limit to how long I can go until I just have to sew with a little Liberty lawn, and I reached that limit over the weekend.
I just love working with this fabric – the patterns, the colours, the feel of it – gorgeous. I'm also quite keen on working with Robert Kaufman linen blends – the dark pink here is an Essex Linen and the pale pink is the Brussels Washer – very different handles, but both lovely.
Of course, there also seems to be a limit to how long I can go between making sewing cases – they are a bit of an obsession of mine. These two are outrageously girly and just had to have ribbon tie closures rather than the usual button closure.
Apart from the actual construction of the cases, everything is hand stitched – the pocket trims, the appliques and all the quilting. I think this is one of the things I love about sewing cases, I can indulge in the hand techniques I love without making a big commitment to a larger project.
I made a new template for the scissor keeper this time around and it fits the little scissors I put in my sewing kits just perfectly.
I used to thread the sewing needles in the case with threads, but now much prefer the little cards of wound thread that I pop in the back pocket of the sewing kits. I also now add a little press stud to the larger of the three pockets so that things can be held in there a little more securely. I really enjoy challenging myself to improve the design every time I make a new case.
The Liberty lawn print I used for these cases is Ciara and I only now have a few scraps of it left, although I'm pretty sure I will need more in the future. This one would also look great with a blue linen, a natural linen, maybe a green… Mmm, something for next weekend maybe 🙂