My obsession with my 6 pointed diamond quilt continues, and I’m making good progress.
After my last post, I skipped off and made lots of diamonds in the galvanised grey shot cotton and stitched them to the sides of the star strips:
I also added a hexagon to each of the 4 corners. These shapes start to form the structure for straightening up the centre panel so I can add borders.
Then it was time to make up hexie / triangle blocks to fill in the ‘holes’:
I had a little change of mind about which fabric to use for the triangles, which was going to be the blue ‘Pebbled Path River’ that I talked about in my last post about the quilt. I had this lovely orange shade print from the same fabric collection in my stash and was thinking of using it for the backing of the quilt before I found the other 2 fabrics from the collection. I thought it would be perfect for these blocks since it tones so well with the shot cotton. You can really see the weave of the shot cotton in this shot and that it is made up of blue and orange threads.
Yesterday, I started putting the hexie triangle blocks into place on the star strips and started to piece everything together. I even pulled out some papers – yippee! I should have the main panel all pieced together by the end of today, and then I will start working on the edges again.
Here’s how the panel looks with the hexie triangle blocks in place – it is a little bit kaleidoscopey to look at – I find my eyes wandering away from the stars and having to concentrate on seeing them again…